Detski Knigi Foundation is a non-profit public benefit organization whose mission is to improve the lives of children and young people by promoting reading and helping adults raise a literate next generation.
– We promote reading among children and young people through our website www.detskiknigi.com where we provide children and adults with book reviews, news, interviews, advice on reading to children, best practices from libraries and schools.
– To stimulate publishers to provide high quality contemporary books to young readers and to give children the opportunity to express their opinion for the best children’s books published in Bulgarian in the previous year we organize annually “Biserche Valshebno” /“The Magic Pearl”/ – the only Children’s Choice Book Award in Bulgaria. We have established close connections with libraries and schools in the whole country so children can read the nominated books and vote for their favourite. Find more information at http://www.biserche.com.
– Through the National Reading Relay Campaign we turn children into readers by showing them reading can be fun.
– We support Bulgarian libraries as coordinating body of the Travelling Bookboxes project of the Bulgarian Library and Information Association. We organize charity campaigns for collecting new children and young adults’s books and at present about 80 bookboxes travel and get exchanged between libraries and schools across Bulgaria making it possible for young readers even in the farthest towns and villages of the country to read new books. Find more information at http://www.libchest.com.
– Through the Library in the kindergarten project we try to promote reading to children from an early age. We aim not only to create libraries in the kindergartens, but also to educate parents, carers and teachers for the benefits of reading to children from birth and give them tips for raising readers.
– We promote Bulgarian writers and book illustrators internationally as nominating body from Bulgaria for the Astrid Lindgren Memorial Award since 2016. We also send regularly to the International Youth Library in Munich contemporary children’s books by Bulgarian writers and illustrators.
Detski Knigi Foundation has established strong partnerships with various institutions and organizations, regional, school and community centre libraries across Bulgaria.
“Detski Knigi” Foundation
3 Samokov blvd.