The International Board on Books for Young People (IBBY) is a non-profit organization which represents an international network of people from all over the world who are committed to bringing books and children together. The Lithuanian Section of IBBY is an organization that brings together professionals from different fields – writers, illustrators, school and university teachers, researchers, librarians etc.
- to promote international understanding through children’s books
- to give children everywhere the opportunity to have access to books with high literary and artistic standards
- to encourage the publication and distribution of quality children’s books, especially in developing countries
- to provide support and training for those involved with children and children’s literature
- to stimulate research and scholarly works in the field of children’s literature
- to protect and uphold the Rights of the Child according to the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child
The Lithuanian Section of IBBY is an organization that brings together professionals from different fields – writers, illustrators, school and university teachers, researchers, librarians etc. It is responsible for:
- Organizing annual events including International Children’s Book Day celebration (April 2nd), during which the most notable children‘s book authors and illustrators are awarded and the previous year in children‘s book world discussed; scientific-practical seminar Readings of Pranas Mašiotas, during which different topics on children’s literature are analyzed, presented and discussed; international seminar Sea and Children‘s Literature, which gathers book specialists from neighbouring countries at the Baltic Sea.
- Carrying out various cultural project and conducting a wide range of seminars, conferences, exhibitions, launches of new books, writers‘, artists‘ and translators‘ anniversaries, and other events.
- Appointing awards for the best books of the year, awards for children’s authors, illustrators, researchers, promoters of reading (8-9 different categories each year).
- Publishing of quarterly magazine “Rubinaitis” about children‘s books for teachers, librarians, literary researchers, writers, illustrators, publishers, parents and students since 1994. The magazine covers children’s literature theory, history and criticism, introduces the work of Lithuanian and foreign writers and illustrators, reviews recently published books, features interviews with famous literary and artistic people, contains a lot of useful information and bibliographic material.
- Cooperating with publishers to analyze new publications and make recommendations to ensure that the world‘s children literature classics and most notable contemporary works are published in Lithuanian language. Conducting the reading research „TOP5 most popular books“ based on the questionnaires from Lithuanian pupils.
- Cooperating with numerous institutions (libraries, publishing houses, universities, schools, theaters, etc.), creative organizations, associations and other institutions in Lithuania and worldwide.
Lietuvos nacionalinė Martyno Mažvydo biblioteka/ Martynas Mažvydas
National Library of Lithuania
Gedimino pr. 51, 01504, Vilnius, Lietuva